Sigma Tau Delta
Sigma Tau Delta,the International English Honor Society, was founded in 1924. Bowie State University became a member in 1974 when it inaugurated the Nu Nu Chapter of Sigma Tau Delta. The Nu Nu Chapter inducts new members each year and organizes events such as book drives, read-a-thons, and after-school tutoring.
The Society strives to
- Confer distinction for high achievement in English language and literature in undergraduate, graduate, and professional studies;
- Provide, through its local chapters, cultural stimulation on college campuses and promote interest in literature and the English language in surrounding communities;
- Foster all aspects of the discipline of English, including literature, language, and writing;
- Promote exemplary character and good fellowship among its members;
- Exhibit high standards of academic excellence; and
- Serve society by fostering literacy.
With more than 900 active chapters located in the United States and abroad, there are more than 1,000 Faculty Sponsors, and approximately 9,000 members inducted annually.
Bowie State University's Nu Nu Chapter Membership Requirements
- Candidates for undergraduate membership must have completed a minimum of two college courses in English language or literature beyond the usual requirements in freshman English. The candidate must have a minimum of a B or equivalent average in English and in general scholarship and must have completed at least three semesters or five quarters of college course work. Candidates for undergraduate membership need not be majoring or minoring in the discipline of English.
- Candidates for graduate membership who did not hold undergraduate membership must be enrolled in a graduate program in English or one of its specializations, have completed six semester hours of graduate work or the equivalent, and have a minimum grade point average of 3.3 on a 4.0 scale.
- Lifetime Membership Fee: $80. $35 goes to the Nu Nu chapter, which will bestow you with Honor Cords and a Medallion at your Induction Ceremony that you can wear during graduation. The other $45 goes to Sigma Tau Delta’s national office, which will supply you with your Sigma Tau Delta society pin and certificate. The fee must can be paid in cash or by check.
If you are interested in becoming a member, please e-mail email@example.com.
Induction Ceremony Programs
Sigma Tau Delta, a certified member of the Association of College Honor Societies (ACHS) since 1972, meets the strict guidelines for organizational excellence and scholastic eligibility required for continued membership in ACHS. ACHS is the only certifying agency for college and university honor societies.
2018 Sigma Tau Delta Induction Ceremony