Students holding part-time or full-time jobs may petition for academic credit. To receive academic credits, you must:
- Be a sophomore, junior, or senior with a minimum cumulative 2.5 GPA on a 4.0 scale and have completed a minimum of 24 credit hours of college.
- Transfer students must have completed one full semester at Bowie State University, unless the student is transferring as a Co-op student. The transfer student must also have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 and completed a minimum of 24 credits.
- Have a job that is related to your academic discipline
- Be willing to Co-op a minimum of two work periods
- Graduate students must have completed one semester and maintained a GPA of 3.0 or better
Students who meet and agree to adhere to the conditions outlined for the Cooperative Education program may apply for participation in the program through the Career Development Center. Although placements cannot be guaranteed, the process includes the following:
- Meet with the Cooperative Education Program Coordinator in the Career Development Center to discuss your interest in earning academic credit for your current work experience. Bring your job description, unofficial transcript and resume with you.
- If you’re searching for a job, register for Bulldogs4Hire to assist you with your job search while completing your application for the Cooperative Education Program.
- After speaking with the Cooperative Education Program Coordinator, meet with your faculty advisor and/or department chair to discuss receiving credit for your work experience. Take the Cooperative Education Program application along with your job description with you. Applications are available in the Career Development Center or download the packet on this page.
- Once your faculty advisor and/or department chair has determined that academic credit can be earned, they will complete and sign the Learning Contract and the Cooperative Education Request for Credit form. Your supervisor must also sign the Learning Contract.
- Submit all completed documents to the Cooperative Education Program Coordinator in the Career Development Center.
- Register for the applicable cooperative education credits as indicated by your faculty advisor and/or department chair.
- Attend the Cooperative Education Program Orientation and Professional Development Session (see Program Schedule for dates and times)