The Career Development Center offers an internship course (IDIS 201 or 202) where students can earn two academic credits. In addition, each academic major offers internship courses where students can earn 3 credits.
Career Development Center Course Requirements
Students interested in participating in this Internship program and in earning academic credit for their internship experience via our office must:
- Schedule an appointment to meet with the Internship Coordinator in the Career Development Center.
- Make application to the Internship Program.
- Register in our Interdisciplinary Studies (IDIS) 201 or 202 course.
Once enrolled in the internship course, students must:
- Attend an Orientation Session at the beginning of the semester
- Attend a mid-year Professional Development Session
- Complete 100 work hours at their approved internship site.
- Complete and submit reports, evaluations and other assignments to the Internship Coordinator who will issue a failing or passing grade.
IDIS Eligibility Requirements
Students interested in earning two academic credits via our office must meet the following requirements:
- Be a sophomore, junior, or senior with a minimum cumulative 2.5 GPA on a 4.0 scale and have completed a minimum of 24 credit hours of college.
- Transfer students must have completed one full semester at Bowie State University. The transfer student must also have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 and completed a minimum of 24 credits.
- Be currently enrolled and in good academic standing
IDIS Application Process
Students who meet and agree to adhere to the conditions outlined for the Internship Program may apply for participation in the program through the Career Development Center. Although placements cannot be guaranteed, the process includes the following:
- Meet with the Internship Program Coordinator in the Career Development Center to discuss your interest in earning academic credit for your current internship experience. Bring your intern description, unofficial transcript and resume with you.
- If you’re searching for an internship, register for Bulldogs4Hire to assist you with your internship search while completing your Internship Registration Form.
- After speaking with the Internship Program Coordinator, meet with your faculty advisor and/or department chair to discuss receiving academic credit via our office for your internship experience.
- Once your faculty advisor and/or department chair has determined that academic credit can be earned via the Career Development Center he/she will complete and sign the Internship Agreement form. Your internship site supervisor must also sign this form.
- Submit all completed documents to the Internship Program Coordinator in the Career Development Center.
- Register for the applicable Interdisciplinary Course (IDIS) 201 or 202 as stipulated by the Internship Program Coordinator.
- Attend the Internship Program Orientation and Professional Development Session (see Program Schedule for dates and times)
Internship Application Forms
To view the PDF documents on this page, download the free Adobe Acrobat reader by clicking here.