Bulldog Scholars Academy offers entering freshmen engaged learning experiences in a variety of general education courses . To support participants' development as scholars, we embed peer tutors in the math courses. Supplemental Instructors (SI)/ Tutors attend class with scholars and offer group and individual tutoring sessions outside of class. Supplemental Instructors reside on campus while Bulldog Scholars Academy is in session.
Duties and Expectations
- Attend course with Bulldog Scholars Academy participants: take notes related to course content and assignments; assist professor (when appropriate) with handing out course materials, taking attendance, and leading small group discussions.
- Offer supplemental instruction and tutoring sessions outside of class: meet students in small groups and individually to review course material, brush up on discipline-related skills, and discuss study strategies.
- Complete administrative duties: document attendance during supplemental instruction and tutoring sessions; submit weekly plan to supplemental instruction manager; administer mid-term survey to SI and tutoring participants.
- Build professional relationship with faculty and Bulldog Scholars Academy participants: maintain an open line of communication with faculty; provide students with a weekly supplemental instruction agenda; maintain consistent contact with students in person and electronically.
- Attend training sessions and meetings with SI manager.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Earned A or B in courses related to supplemental instruction/tutoring content area.
- 3.0 or higher cumulative GPA.
- Undergraduate with 30 or more credit hours OR graduate student.
- Strong interpersonal skills.