New Student Orientation
AT THIS TIME, ALL REGULAR NSO SESSIONS ARE CLOSED.
Newly admitted students and students who did not make it to an NSO session have two options:
- Schedule a meeting with an advisor in the Academic Advisement Center or their academic department for advising and course registration. Find out who to contact here (pdf).
- Register for one of our Last Chance NSO sessions being held the week before school begins. To receive the link to register, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your Name and 7-digit student ID number.
If you have any questions or concerns, please email email@example.com
Newly admitted students must attend New Student Orientation (NSO). Students accepted for the FALL 2019 semester will attend one of the orientation sessions during the summer in June or July.
Students can choose from several different sessions this coming summer where they can:
- Meet with an academic advisor and choose classes
- Talk with new and current students
- Learn about campus resources
- Go on a campus tour
All Freshman students will attend a two-day, one-night NSO program and Transfer students will attend a full, one-day program
NSO Registration Eligibility
- Admission for Fall 2019 semester
- Paid $80 enrollment deposit
- Received Financial Aid Award (only if applying for financial aid)
- Registration for New Student Orientation (NSO) takes place in the student portal, Bulldog Connection. Students can refer to a letter they received in the mail for username, password and instructions on how to login for the first time. For assistance with your Bulldog ID or Password please email, call (301-860-4357), or visit the DIT Helpdesk located in the basement of Thurgood Marshall Library behind the student labs.
- Once the student has logged in and if the student is eligible (see above), they should see a red/orange "Orientation Registration" button on their student services center.
- After they click the registration button, they will be prompted to answer three financial aid questions. Students are required to have completed a FAFSA and received their financial aid award offer BEFORE they register for NSO, only if they plan to receive any type of financial aid.
- When students have successfully answered the financial aid questions, they will see the date selection page. Students must select a date and save/confirm the first time they access the form. If they leave or close the window without confirming, they will no longer be able to access the form.
- For any questions or issues regarding registration, please send an email with your name and student ID along with a brienf description of the problem to firstname.lastname@example.org.
All first-time students and some transfer* students are required to take tests in writing, reading comprehension and math. Students must register for and take their placement exams before attending NSO. You must take the test if you are:
- A first-year freshman student. You must take the Placement Test before talking with your academic advisor and registering for classes.
- A transfer* student who did not transfer English composition with a "C" or better. You must take the English Placement Test.
- A transfer* student whose transfer evaluation does not indicate credits for MATH 116 (or some higher math course). You must take the Math Placement Exam before being permitted to register for classes.
- An in-state transfer student who has an associate’s degree. You are not required to take a Placement Test.
*If you are a transfer student, it is important for you to check with the Admissions Office at 301-860-3415 to find out which test you are required to take before you register for classes.
NSO Dates will only be made available through a student’s portal in Bulldog Connection.
More detailed information will be sent via email. If you have any questions, please email the NSO Coordinator at discoverBSU@bowiestate.edu.